We also have an API available if you have an external or customized solution to sell digital downloads with Shopify.
Getting started – Quick overview
Scroll down for an in-depth walkthrough. Please get in touch with us if you want any help with the setup.
After you have added products to your Shopify store, setting up the app is as simple as this:
Upload your digital assets to the app.
Attach those assets to your Shopify products or variants.
Customise your settings & branding.
Tutorials for specific requests:
- Migrate from a different digital downloads app? – It’s easier than you think.
- Selling large digital files – Here, you will find some great tips and ideas.
- Selling personalised digital products? – Find out how to attach files to orders.
- Change the language – Use your language.
- Add download button to Shopify Order Confirmation email – Allow customers to download from Shopify’s email.
Be sure to check our Shopify Academy if you want to learn more about setting up your Shopify store.
1. Install the DDA app to your Shopify store
Go to the DDA page on the Shopify app store and click the “Add app” button. You can install the free plan for now, or you can get a 7-day free trial.
Once installed, please follow the next steps.
2. Ensure you have products set up in Shopify
I assume you have already set up your products in Shopify. If you haven’t, simply go to:
- Shopify dashboard
- Click on “Products“
- Click on the “Create product” button
- Make sure you mark the product as “Digital“ if it’s only a digital product. All you need to do is, go to the “Shipping” section and uncheck the option “This product requires shipping”.
Marking the product as digital and that they don’t need to be shipped allows the DDA app to fulfil the product in your orders automatically and disables the shipping email from Shopify. If the product is physical, then that is fine. Digital files will still be delivered.
3. How to set up the app
Step 1 – Upload your digital assets
From your Shopify dashboard, go to the “Apps” in the left navigation, and open the app.
- Once you are in the app, go to the “Assets” page
- Click the ‘Upload new assets’ button. From here, you can follow the steps to upload your assets/files or attach external URLs as assets.
Check our upload troubleshooting guide if you have trouble uploading.
Step 2 – Attach the uploaded assets to your Shopify products
Please make sure you have created your products in your Shopify store. Our app automatically syncs all your Shopify products to our app, making it easy to attach assets to them.
Method 1 – from the asset page
- Click on the blue asset link after upload
- Use the search box/drop-down to attach the asset to products
Method 2 – from the product page
- Go to the ‘Products’ page
- Click on your chosen product that you want to attach assets to
- Use the search box/drop-down to attach assets
Step 3 – Customise your settings
- Using your own email for digital product delivery using SendGrid or SMTP
- Import all previous orders placed previous to installing the app
- PDF Stamping
- Display download links in the customers’ accounts and checkout summary page
- Set release dates on digital products
- Sell personalised digital products
- Connect an S3-compatible server
- API Access
- Updating files & notifying customers
- Customise email templates to improve branding
- Add & sell external URLs as assets, such as Dropbox links etc.
- Expire orders at a specific time or instantly
- Stats page
- Fraud protection – halt downloads if they’re high-risk fraudulent
- Restrict customers’ downloads to a number of IP addresses
- More storage allowance
Find out the best practices to prevent customers from sharing digital products. Learn more by seeing our professional guidance on 19 mistakes to avoid when selling digital products.
Go to the ‘Settings’ page. Please take your time to go through these settings and make sure they suit your store. Example of the settings page on the Premium plan:
Step 4 – Read our Checklist! Be ready for digital products
We would highly advise you to read our ‘Setup checklist’ after installation. This ensures your store is set up correctly to deliver digital products without issues.
For example, some stores are set only to collect phone numbers on an order. This needs to be changed to collect emails so we can email the digital downloads to your customer. You can learn how to do this in the checklist.
How will my customers receive their downloads?
Your customers can receive their downloads in three methods:
DDA’s Email (enabled by default)
Via email using DDA’s email delivery system.
Download emails are enabled by default upon installation and are available for all plans.
Shopify’s Order Confirmation Email
You can also add download links to Shopify’s Order Confirmation email.
Order status Thank You page downloads
This option uses a download box. Learn how to customise the download box text.
Customer accounts downloads
If your customers didn’t create an account at checkout, you could tell your customers that they can create a customer account using the email that they used to purchase. This will automatically create an account with their order inside.
This option uses a download box that uses the styling of your website’s CSS. Learn how to customise the download box.
You can also use a customer account designing application called CustomerHub with DDA if you want to build your own customer accounts.
Add download info to Shopify’s order confirmation email
I highly recommend adding information about the downloads in your Shopify Order Confirmation email template.
Shopify’s email domain has a very high deliverability rate and rarely falls into spam. When using your custom email, there’s a chance your emails could fall into the spam folder. Here you can add information telling your customers where to find their downloads.
Normal Shopify email
Troubleshooting download issues for customers
In some rare cases, customers may run into download problems. This is usually caused by old browsers or operating systems that just need a quick restart. You can send the customer this download issue troubleshooting guide to find out what the issue could be.
Improve your knowledge
Things to know:
- Upload & sell any file type or size (within your plan limits)
- We use ultra-fast & secure download servers
- We don’t add code to your theme (unless you add customer account downloads)
Learn how to upgrade or downgrade your plan easily.
Some customers abuse the rules and learn how to block their downloads.
There are a few essential methods to help protect your digital products from fraud.
Learn from the experts in selling digital downloads online.
If you get stuck, just contact us, and we are here to help!